My office at work is pretty plain and has your typical, boring desktop filing systems. Since we spend so many hours a day at work, wouldn’t it be nice to spruce up the place and enjoy it a little more? =)
AFTER: This is the same Ekby Gruvan wall shelf (Ikea) that I used for my makeup vanity. It’s been a year and I still absolutely love my vanity so I decided to try it out for my office as well. NOTE: The shelf also comes in black, but the white one was on sale for $39.99 (regular price $51.99). The website doesn’t show the shelf in black, but my local Ikea store carried both colors. Also, Ikea will be discontinuing this shelf soon…boo. =(
If you’re able to drill holes into the wall, the shelf has compatible brackets. However, I couldn’t attach the shelf to my work office so I used two 9 x 9 inch Display Cubes (The Container Store) for the legs. The cubes also come in 6 x 6 inch if you want a lower shelf.
Little souvenirs are displayed on one of the legs.
While office stamps are placed on the other for easy access. The paperclips are kept in an Ikea soap dish.
Here’s how my new system works and we’ll have to see how it goes after a few weeks. =)
- During the day, the shelf looks like this. On top is my office to-do list.
- My inbox is a magnetic basket that is attached to the side of my desk. Work from the inbox is either placed in the “Next Week” stack….
- Or the “This Week” stack.
- The columns of the to-do list inspired the shelf organization.
- Tasks that I’m currently working on today are pulled from the “This Week” stack.
- By having this shelf, I’m able to have a lot more surface area on top AND underneath to work on my daily tasks and projects.
- The two stacks are placed upside down. This allows me to quickly see the headings when I’m flipping through the documents.
- This is my reference stack, which has documents I refer to multiple times in a day (i.e. salary schedules, calendars, policies, etc).
- As the week goes by, there are tasks and projects that I need to discuss with my supervisor. I keep them in a folder so when we have our regular meeting, I have everything I need.
- I also keep an ongoing notebook with a checklist of items to discuss or questions that arise, but are not urgent. Then while in the meeting with my supervisor, I note what we discuss, any decisions that have been made, and tasks that need to be done. This comes in very handy because there have been many times when I’ve referred back to old meetings notes.
- The top left corner is my outbox. By having it on top, it makes the shelf look messy. Hence, it makes me get the documents out of my office and off the shelf even faster. =)
So during the day it may look like this with scattered documents and folders…
But by the end of the day, the outgoing mail is gone and the “today” tasks are complete. If not, they go back to the “This Week” stack, along with the to-do list.
The shelf is free of clutter and I’m ready to call it a day! Since I’m able to see everything, I’m hoping it will MAKE me stay organized because I’ll hate it if it looks messy. The same concept applies to my makeup vanity. =)
There is also plenty of space underneath the shelf to put your pens, tape dispenser, calculator, etc. Perhaps I’ll try looking for a picture to lean against the wall to make it feel more like home. =)